Sunday, October 3, 2010

Ever-increasing joy

Why did Paul and Silas SING while they were in jail? What kind of joy is that?  That's the kind of joy I want. A deep and abiding one. One that is sure and stays strong even in the face of things beyond my control.

I can be pretty impatient when I want to learn something; take piano for instance. I wanted to know everything on the first day! But it took me 8 years of hard work to get where I am. I've discovered in my life that true joy (there's a difference between "happiness" and real "joy") is not a sudden occurence either. The more I know Christ, the deeper it grows. I don't want surface happiness, what I seek is joy that's there even when times are hard.

He is Comforter, Friend, Rock, Fortress, Peacemaker...and He understands me when I can't understand myself. He knows every hair on my head, and every thought before I think it. He knows my rising up and my sitting down, and He formed me in His own image. He has promised to complete the good work that He began in me, and to never leave or forsake me. Praise the Lord

My mom did a good job of describing what a joyful relationship with Him really looks like. It's a steady river flowing; always sure, always constant....peaceful, comforting, strengthening, life-giving. All around things may be chaotic and scary, but down deep Christ is the Rock, the Foundation.

I think the key to joy is keeping our eyes fixed on Him. Think of Peter walking on the water. When we are fixed on Him we aren't afraid and nothing can shake us, but it's when we take our eyes off Him that we sink. Sink into ourselves. Our fears, our doubts, our frustrations, our bitterness, our negative thoughts. It's a rotten place to be, and I refuse to stay there and wallow in it.

James says the key is to "Count it all joy"! when we face these trials because "we know" or "we have the hope that" this will produce endurance and fruit. Amen!

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Hey,
Thanks for posting this! It was a blessing to read. I like what you said about joy coming when we are focused on Christ. Press on!
Elizabeth :)